Location: Kentwood, MI
Type: Full Time
Reports to: General Manager/Regional Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Summary: To perform all aspects of the Assistant Club Manager job responsibilities according to Company policies,
procedures and standards, on a per shift basis. Responsible for the entire operation and management of the Club, ensuring
positive member experience, teamwork and operational excellence in conjunction with the Club Manager. Manages and is
responsible for all aspects of the Club’s operation in the absence of the Club General Manager. To work productively as part of a
team and to motivate and inspire the team to achieve club productivity and customer service goals. To follow all Company
standards, ensuring that the work shift contributes to the financial best interests of the Club, ensuring the individual and
collective skills of the team are utilized effectively, and both the staff and member experience is positive. Assists the Club
General Manager with recruitment, hiring and training in order to ensure that the club is fully staffed at all times. All areas
described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Essential Job Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
• Personally follows, observes, and ensures that the staff follows and observes, all Company policies and procedures,
rules, standards of conduct as outlined in the Employee Handbook and as directed by upper management, i.e. Time and
Attendance, cash management, etc., on a per shift basis. Ensures that the entire staff of the club does the same.
• Ensures excellence in Company Customer Service/Member Service at all times by consistently creating a welcoming
environment for the members by greeting and assisting, as well as quickly responding to member inquires and needs.
Ensures entire staff does the same on a per shift basis.
• Must be able to regularly push, pull, lift and/or move 45 pounds (i.e. a backpack vacuum, free weights), frequently
push, pull, lift and/or move 45 pounds and occasionally push, pull, lift and/or move 65 pounds (with assistance).
• Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor at all times; leads by example.
• Maintains a clean, organized and orderly club and staff, ensuring favorable public image, on a per shift basis.
• Assists members with the operation of and through demonstration of, the proper use of the massage chairs, tanning
beds/booths, total body enhancement, HydroMassage, etc.
• Performs general and specific walk around and cleaning responsibilities of the facility and equipment using general
cleaning products and tools (i.e. mops, towels, sanitizers, window cleaners, Magic Erasers, etc.) to ensure that the Club
equipment and facility meets or exceeds cleanliness and sanitation standards. Ensures that the staff of the club does
the same, through proper delegation, training and follow-up, on a per shift basis.
• Demonstrates desired behaviors for staff and leads, motivates and exemplifies those behaviors, including driving sales,
handling difficult and/or complicated sales, ensures that all member transactions are processed properly, promptly and
accurately, especially enrollments and cancellations, on a per shift basis.
• Ensures the prompt and proper handling and communication of all member requests and inquiries, reports of equipment
issues, member issues, including enrollments and cancellations, etc., per Company guidelines and standards.
• Assists Club General Manager with the proper hiring, training, development of staff, praise and discipline of the staff of
the location, in order to maintain operational excellence and Company standards, through involvement, communication,
• Knowledge of the club layout in order to assist customers in locating equipment, restrooms, locker rooms, etc. Ensures
that all staff is properly trained on and communicates properly with members regarding all aspects of the operation and
layout of the club, facilities, equipment, etc.
• Adhere to all local, state and federal laws and guidelines and ensures that the staff of the club adheres to all local, state
and federal laws and guidelines on a per shift basis.
• Reports any and all issues, incidents and complaints that are or could be perceived as a violation of: FMLA, ADA, Company Sexual
Harassment policy, Company Sexual Harassment policy, Company Anti-Discrimination policy, Workers Compensation policy,
Company Anti-Retaliation policy, etc.
• Ability to promptly, politely and professionally handle all telephone calls to the club, properly following Planet
Fitness current “Info Calls” scripts and guidelines, displaying an understanding and knowledge of the current
Planet Fitness specials, pricing structures, promotions, etc., following any and all appropriate scripts and Company
policies and protocols and ensures that the staff of the club does the same, on a per shift basis.
Page 2 of 3
• Leads and/or ensures that all Planet Fitness tours, demonstrating a clear, concise, enthusiastic and energetic
understanding of all equipment, classes, training protocols, layout of the facility, etc. including ensuring that all protocols
are followed, i.e. classes, PE@PF, training protocols, percentage goals, layout of the facility, etc. is communicated and
followed up on, properly, on a per shift basis.
• Must be able to properly use all necessary office equipment in order to process necessary paperwork and administrative
• Properly executes team building and leadership responsibilities, per Company guidelines and expectations.
• Ability to assist in other Clubs when available and/or as needed, demonstrates a hands on, “can do” leadership style that
allows for direct performance management-based leadership and direction.
• Other duties as assigned.
Note: This description represents a significant sampling of tasks performed, responsibilities and job knowledge required,
however, it is not meant to be an exhaustive list.
Standards held to:
• Follow all Planet Fitness Customer Service/Member Service Standards.
• Excellent communication, decision making, leadership, organizational, training, teambuilding and multi-tasking skills.
• Attention to detail, especially as it pertains to organization, delegation, follow up, administrative responsibilities and Club
• Demonstrate an enthusiastic, positive, energetic and knowledgeable demeanor relative to membership sales, customer
service, employee relations, training and development, etc.
• Ability to work autonomously and in a team, setting ensuring that all job tasks and responsibilities are completed timely
• Properly manage the Club in conjunction with and in the absence of the Club Manager.
• Follow all Company policies and procedures.
• Responsible for overall direction, coordination and execution of all responsibilities of the entire club, in conjunction with
the Club General Manager and Shift Lead, on a per shift basis. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance
with the Company’s policies, procedures and any or all applicable laws.
• Responsibilities include: overall operation of the club in conjunction with the Club Manager and in the absence of the
Club Manager, positive operational results, planning, assigning and directing work, training and development,
appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining, addressing complaints and resolving problems, etc.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Proven track record of success in leadership and excellence in customer service.
• Staff development, problem solving, communication and organizational skills.
• Results oriented professional with positive attitude and a commitment to quality and operational excellence.
• Strong computer skills.
• Able to work during peak Club hours which may include mornings, evenings, overnights and weekends.
Education and/or Experience:
• Prior fitness management, management, or a Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, or
similar degree, etc. or a combination of experience and education preferred.
Communication and Language Skills:
• Ability to hear, read, speak, write, analyze, interpret and understand the English language in order to respond promptly
to requests for assistance, to accommodate verbal requests from customers or employees for information or assistance,
to answer telephones, and to be able to communicate effectively with all Company employees, customers, vendors, etc.
and read and understand Company policies, procedures, notices, etc.
• Ability to express ideas verbally and in writing; ability to compose and write reports, business correspondence, etc.
Ability to actively, diplomatically and tactfully listen to and engage members, upper management, owners, club
management and employees in order to ensure proper communication, follow through and results.
Mathematical, Computer and Security Skills:
Page 3 of 3
• Must possess the appropriate mathematical skills necessary to supervise and handle sales transactions, tender
change, verify invoice charges and counts, make bank deposits, etc.
• Must be able to read and understand daily balance sheets, financial reports, etc. and have the necessary skills and
experience to be able to readily detect errors and omissions and proactively troubleshoot errors or discrepancies in all
club level administrative reports.
• Ensure that all sensitive documents, computer information, etc. are properly secured at all times.
• Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed, but not specifically involved, written or verbal
• Ability to deal with problems involving multiple variables in standardized situations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations and Required Reading:
• Certification in fitness instruction or personal training preferred.
• CPR, First Aid and AED certification preferred within 30 days of hire/promotion.
• Must pass PCI Credit Card Security Test.
• Preferred reading: One Minute Manager by: Kenneth H. Blanchard, Raving Fans, by: Kenneth H. Blanchard and How
To Win Friends and Influence People, by: Dale Carnegie.
Physical Demands, Essential Functions and Required Tasks: The physical demands and required tasks described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
• Must be able to stand and/or walk for 8 or more-hour periods.
• The ability to operate equipment safely and correctly.
• The ability to use general cleaning products and tools (i.e. mops, backpack vacuum, Swiffers, towels, sanitizers, window
cleaners, Magic Erasers, etc.) to ensure that the Club equipment and facility (including showers, restrooms and locker
rooms) meets or exceeds cleanliness and sanitation standards.
• Must be able to use and be exposed to cleaning products and cleaning chemical fumes.
• Must be able to clean facility, including showers, restrooms, toilets, etc. using appropriate cleaning chemicals to clean
and sanitize. May be exposed to harsh cleaning chemicals, mildew, mold, dust and bodily fluids and/or waste.
• Must be able to sit, squat, repetitively reach, repetitively bend and occasionally kneel.
• Must be able to reach and move items at and above shoulder height.
• Must be able to regularly push, pull, lift and/or move 45lbs. or more (e.g. a backpack vacuum, dumbbells, barbells, plates).
Frequently push, pull, lift and/or move 55lbs or more and occasionally push, pull, lift and/or move 65lbs or more, with
• Ability to multitask, maintain a positive attitude, problem solve, etc.
• Ability to travel between clubs and offices as needed.
Work Environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but is occasionally loud. Work in a fastpaced
environment. Exposure to cleaning products and cleaning chemical fumes.
Please note: Planet Fitness is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The above information has been designed to indicate the
general nature and level of work performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or to be interpreted
as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employee assigned to this job.
Please note: Planet Fitness reserves the right to change, alter or modify this policy at any time and without advance notice to
Planet Fitness, Inc. (NYSE:PLNT), has revolutionized the fitness industry! With more than 1,000 locations in 47 states, Puerto Rico, and Canada, Planet Fitness' mission is to enhance people's lives by providing a high-quality fitness experience in a welcoming, non-intimidating environment, which we call the Judgement Free Zone®.
We’re aggressively expanding and looking for talented individuals to help us conquer Gymtimidation® everywhere!
This club is independently owned and operated by a franchisee. Your application will go directly to the franchise club, and all hiring decisions will be made by the management of that franchise club. Planet Fitness Headquarters has no direct, indirect or reserved control over the hiring decisions made by any franchise clubs. All inquiries about employment at this club should be made directly to the club, and not to Planet Fitness Headquarters.